Selling or Releasing your Timeshare
Sometimes timeshare owners need to hand-back or sell their timeshare weeks for a variety of different reasons. At this time, owners looking for an exit, can be extremely vulnerable to fraudulent operators.
Before you engage with a 3rd party company, we recommend that if you would like to sell or release your timeshare that you speak directly to your Home Owner Club owner services team or a club committee representative to discuss the options available to you.
If you choose to speak or to sell or release your timeshare through a 3rd party company, please be very cautious if they:
- Cold-called you and initiated contact by email, phone or text – this will likely be a case of data theft.
- State that your club/resort, an exchange company or a European listing of timeshare owners provided your telephone number and/or have asked them to reach out to you. This will not be the case.
- Claim to already have a buyer for your timeshare.
- Tell you not to speak to your club at all and to deal only with them.
- Promise to pay an unusually high price for your timeshare.
- Ask you to pay an upfront fee for legal, registration or administrative purposes in order to sell your timeshare. This is now illegal.
- Pressure you into signing up for a holiday club or discount travel club in return for your timeshare.
- Are a firm of solicitors asking for an upfront payment to help you obtain a refund of money you paid to a company which has failed to deliver the service it has promised.
If you choose not to contact your Home Owner Club to discuss your timeshare resale/exit options and engage with a 3rd party, this could lead you to falling victim to timeshare fraud and parting with large sums of money with no timeshare exit in place and owing outstanding maintenance fees.